Thursday 30 October 2008

The Tenth Doctor is Dead.

I was going to watch the national television awards. I like the sense of pride I feel when a series I love so much is appreciated officially by its Peers. And as usual, David Tennant's stunning acting as the doctor was recognised when he picked up the award for best actor.

I'm kind of glad I chose to go on Halo instead.

During his acceptance speech, live from Stratford, David Tennant announced that the 4 2009 specials would be his last. That quirky, eclectic, talented, funny, charming, unique and wonderful Doctor would leave our screens to make way for series 5 in 2010. I think a little part of me died at 7.30 this morning when I heard the news. Strangely, my first thought was 'What the hell am I gonna do with all these posters in my room??'

I can hardly say I grew up with the Tenth Doctor. I was 15 when Doctor Who returned to our screens, and it captivated me. I love that show. It inspired so many things in me - creativity, passion, love - in fact, I'd go as far as to say that the official magazine sparked my interest in journalism; I didn't know you could be paid to write about the things you love so much! Christopher Eccelston's departure didn't really shock me, I hadn't really developed a connection to him, but then Christmas 2005 came along, and the initial magic of Doctor Who was resparked in me through David Tennant. Here was a Doctor who was funny, smart, dangerously witty, charming, and just downright amazing. It was David Tennant that turned Doctor Who for me from an interest to a passion that has influenced the person I am, the person I would like to be.

So when he leaves, I'll be devestated. I've very successfully managed to ignore all bonds of masculinty when it comes to depatures in Doctor Who - Rose, Martha, Astrid, Donna, I've all wept rivers for (even in my revisits to the classic series, I wimpered as Sarah Jane was left in aberdeen by the 4th Doctor) - and they were bad enough. I don't feel as bad right now, knowing that he's leaving, maybe its like some sort of shell shock effect (Did I just compare a Doctor regenerating to a post traumatic stress disorder? Hell yes!), but when the time comes next year, in fact, Christmas 2009 (God, that's gonna be a bad Christmas), I'll probably be found the morning after in a ditch somewhere, clutching my posters, silently weeping.

But for now, we still have a year of brilliance to come from that funny man from Gallifrey, that man who has touched the heart of millions across the world. Thank you, David Tennant. And Goodbye.

No comments: